Saturday, 8 March 2014
Blankets are a necessity when having a little one. I believe you can't have enough. One for the pram, one for the other pram, one for your bag, one for the living room, one for wherever. They are always in need. And when the little ones get older, they can use the blankets to build a fort, yes the coolest thing to do when you are young. Blankets come in all shapes and sizes, colours and designs, so how do you choose one. Well, for me its mainly about how the blanket feels and what it's made out of. Kitty and Sparrow know what mamas are looking for when it comes to blankets. From Sydney, Australia they design colourful baby blankets made out of 100% organic cotton. They wanted to design a blanket that was colourful and eye catching and of course soft against your babies skin. Well, they've done just that.
Check out their lovely collection here: http://kittyandsparrow.com
Friday, 7 March 2014
I enjoy seeing mamas take their talents and run with them. They make it work for themselves. I believe some of the most talented women in the industry today take inspiration from children as they are so pure and not afraid to hold back and Michelle captures this through her photos.
I had a chit chat with Michelle and this is what she had to say.
Check out her work here: www.michelle-marshall.com
1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?
Born and bred in Lyon (France), I work as a freelance photographer, work part time for a performing arts college and live in London with my British husband and our two daughters Lola and Sissi. I am also the founder/owner of online boutique quirky collective.
2. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH QUIRKY COLLECTIVE.
quirky collective was born in 2010 out of a wish to present favourite clothing brands from my daughter’s wardrobes, by creating a platform where i could showcase how well those brands understood what it meant to be a child. in late 2013, I decided to put the store on hold to focus on photography.
3. WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO STOP THE SHOP AND CONCENTRATE ON PHOTOGRAPHY?
I felt that some of the initial edge quirky collective had when launching had been lost and with so many online boutiques sprouting up in a very saturated market, trying to rethink its existing format whilst running the business as a one-woman band, was just not possible. Plus the store’s audience and focus seemed to gradually change, as photo commissions started to pick up.
4. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION FROM FOR EACH OF YOUR SHOOTS OR SUBJECTS?
There is no typical thought process. Inspiration arises from a particular mood, emotion and from the subjects themselves.
5. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PLACE IN LONDON YOU LIKE TO GO TO FOR INSPIRATION? PARIS?
Everywhere is good for inspiration. The simple act of looking with no particular expectations often brings some pleasant surprises.
6. ARE YOU INSPIRED BY MUSIC? WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?
I love music. here’s my top 10 playlist:
1-‘Holdin On’ by Flume
2- Diamonds by Y’akoto
3- Keep Ya Head Up by 2Pac
4- BTSU by Jai Paul
5-Get Free by Major Lazer
6- don’t go (acoustic version) feat josh kumra by Wretch 32
7- simply beautiful by Al Green
8 -What Am I Gonna Do With Myself by Al Green
9 never gonna give you up by the black keys
10- Running by Calibre
7. WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE KIDSWEAR DESIGNERS AT THE MOMENT?
I would have pieces from the following designers in my girls’ wardrobes:
HBB Industria Argentina
8. IF YOU COULD COLLABOATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?
I don’t know… sorry!
9. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?
My mum always said if you can’t get it done the way you want it done, have a go at it yourself.
10. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO US?
If you long to do something, don’t wait around for someone else to do it.
11. WHAT’S NEXT FOR YOU? ANY EXCITING PROJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?
I have a couple of personal photo projects, I would like to get off the ground once commissions quieten down, hopefully sometime very soon!
Thursday, 6 March 2014
Tights. I love tights and I'm actually quite picky when it comes to tights for Edith. One, I want them to look good and two, they need to be comfortable and easy for Edith to run around the house in without slipping. LULUZULU sent me a pair of their Mummy Love tights and I was really pleased! Super comfy, really cute, they go with everything and Edith didn't want to take them off!
LULUZULU from the UK is a collection of 'gender free' tights that are beautifully made, super fun, playful and practical. Started by Katie & Richard Kendrick, their love for mischievous design and creative adventure led them to start designing LULUZULU. Starting small with big ideas and a sprinkle of humour is their motto and a good one it is!
Check out their adorable collection here: www.luluzulu.com
Wednesday, 5 March 2014
Spring is trying ever so hard to break through. It will but maybe not just yet,
but as the buds on the trees start to appear I can't help but get excited for
the change. With this change comes a whole new wardrobe and this Spring
season is full of lovely treats. I have put together a slideshow for you with
4 trends I believe you should be trying out this season.
1. Flora Mania
2. Get Shirty
3. Print Up
4. Sport it
This season is all about mixing it up. Mixing colour with colour, patterns
with patterns and even mixing trends. So don't be shy this season mix it all together,
it will make getting dressed in the morning a lot easier No need to choose,
just put it all together!
Tuesday, 4 March 2014
I love it when I hear a song that makes my heart sing! Hundred Water's new song, Down From the Rafters, hit me right in the heart. This song is absolutely gorgeous and it almost puts you at a place of zen. With so much great music out there today, it's not easy to find a song that really grips you. I hope Down From the Rafters grips you today.
Hundred Waters is an indie band from Gainsville, Florida. They formed back in October 2011 while attending the University of Florida.The name Hundred Waters is an ode to European painter, Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Hundertwasser’s life and works greatly affected the way the group approaches music and art, believing that listeners should provide their own interpretations of each(Wikipedia). Now signed to OWSLA Records, they were named Sterogum's 40 Bands of 2012. Compared to the likes of Bjork and Braids, you'll hear their influence in the song today. Enjoy!
Saturday, 1 March 2014
Have you met Isra the owner of Latte Mama? Well, if you haven't you should. She is one of the loveliest ladies I know. Full of energy and always up for a good time. I am a big supporter of mamas trying to make their business flourish and I am very proud of what Isra has in store for her business. She has made great changes to Latte Mama and is relaunching the shop today! Read on to find out more!
LatteMama has some exciting new changes coming. In the past LM has been a discoverer of small brands which have made it bigger. It takes pride in being the first retailer for Slugs and Snails and Modeerska Huset, one of the first for Indikidual, Mina Shoes and Emmis Klemmis. LM is now continuing its streak of finding amazing brands and providing new designers with a platform which involves more than just selling, but also being recognised and appreciated for their out of the box thinking. LM is introducing a new way of stocking clothes and in combination with the season trends will be offering signature pieces of high quality clothing which can be worn every day. LM is further encouraging more handmade clothes, use of recyckled and organic fabric.
On the 27th of February www.latte-mama.com will go on a break and come back on the 1st of March with a fresher look and with debut of many exciting new brands. Along with 4 new brands (for now) LatteMama is also introducing its own exclusive line called Figment. The idea is to work with illustrators and designers and create two prints for each collection, the limited edition t shirts are then hand made by local seamstresses and the motif is hand printed onto it. New designs are then introduced when the first batch is sold out, and customers can take comfort in knowing that they’ve grabbed a very exclusive, and one of a kind design of high quality which will never be reproduced again.
The new brands which LatteMama is happy to announce to be stocking this season are:
1) Filemon Kid - Founded by Sara Cambladh is a great combination of edgy yet cute organic items including onesies, tops, bottoms, dresses and more. The simple design is infused with unexpected details.
2) Marloe Jr – Founded by Anneli Lindholm who develops the garments. They often vary in colour and print and are not only gorgeous on both boys and girls but, through comfort and ease of wearing, also invite movement and play.
3) Our Little Lullaby - Founded By Jeehye Tomyn, Jeehye sources amazing prints and patterns and hand makes her own leggings which will be stocked at www.latte-mama.com.
4) Little four clothing – Danielle Rodriques is the designer and the seamstress behind Little four clothing and is based in the US. She hand makes all of the amazing retro inspired dresses, leggings and tops which will be available at LatteMama.
5) Jabadabadoo – LM will continue to stock this amazing handmade wooden toy brand. Currently colourful umbrellas, guitars, birthday trains, rocking horses and skipping ropes are in stock.
6) Mini Rodini – This Swedish brand continues to hit the right notes and can do no wrong. It will be available at LatteMama for SS14 and AW14.
7) Figment – This exclusive brands brings back the imaginative art and prints it on high quality handmade tees. Will be in store in mid-March.
Friday, 28 February 2014
1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF? WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?
Emily Gray, Born in London, 32 years old, living in Amsterdam with my 2 kids and husband. Finished the study of Concept & Brands at the Amsterdam Fashion Institute. Went traveling in South America, discovered a beautiful Argentinean brand. While back in Amsterdam decided to try and import this brand into Europe. Succeeded. Did this for 2 years with a lot of enthusiasm and success. After finding out I was pregnant, I focused on baby clothing and baby stuff in The Netherlands. I came to the conclusion that this did not made me happy at all, with all the bright colours, Hello Kitties and Cars on shirts. I visited my sister-in-law who lives in Paris and was so intrigued by the beautiful Parisian baby world. From that moment on I was hooked and so inspired I decided to start a business in children’s clothing.
I wanted to create a brand which was organic, minimalistic, unisex and with a warm French touch. Organic because I think it is very important. I live quite a conscience lifestyle filled with healthy foods, pure ingredients, natural products and so on…and I wanted to show that organic/sustainable clothing does not have to be boring and ugly. I needed the collection to be in soft tone colours and styles so everything could be combined together and worn all year round. I use the softest organic cotton to ensure every day comfort and practicality.
2. WHAT DISGUISHES GRAY LABEL FROM OTHER BRANDS?
Year round, organic, soft, unisex
3. WHAT INSPIRES YOUR COLLECTIONS?
My kids, my travels & Magazines
4. WHERE DO YOU GAIN INSPIRATION? DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE MUSEUM, CAFÉ, GALLERY, ETC YOU GO TO FOR INSPIRATION?
Anywhere where I go without kids apart from homeJ. I gain even inspiration on my trips to check my production In Portugal.
5. DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHILE YOU ARE DESIGNING, IF YES, WHO IS ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW?
Yesss always IbizaGlobel Radio J! (We have lived there for one year, last year.)
6. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?
Most inspiring person: Angelina Jolie (what an amazing strong women she is, especially after seeing her award winning speech.
Brand: Bonton, French brand that I admire to create a amazing kids world.
Store: Merci in Paris. Love the idea behind the store
7. DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE YOU LOOK UP TO OR RESPECT, SOMEONE YOU ASPIRE TO?
My husband J. I admire the way he creates new businesses and how he approaches things..
8. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU HAVE RECEIVED?
Follow your own way and listen to your tummy feeling
9. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR US?
Write a lot about Gray Label J!
10. ANY EXCITING NEWS OR PLANS FOR GRAY LABEL YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?Working on a newborn collection and a dollyproject J. I cannot tell more…
11. WHAT IS YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION?
Enjoy even more the little moments!!