1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND? HOW DID YOU START DESIGNING KIDSWEAR?
My name is Miriam Bernstein together with my sister Ada we are the designers and owners of Funky Legs. I had my BA in Parson School of Design- NYC where I majored in photography. Ada studied costume and stage design. Through my photography and also through Ada's experience in design we discovered that we are drawn always to kids perspectives; their naivety, acceptance and wonderful imagination is something that I wanted to make part of my everyday life. So I decided to express that in children's wear
2. WHEN DID THE IDEA FOR FUNKY LEGS COME ABOUT?
After my kids were born I found a frustrating shortage in cool, comfortable and affordable clothes for them. So what did I do? I started Funky Legs! Which concentrate exactly on these qualities.
3. WHAT INFLUENCES YOU WHEN YOU ARE DESIGNING YOUR COLLECTION?
Kids. Kids and Kids again. They are our main influence. All we have to do is observe them while they explore this world, and we find an endless pool of funky ideas.
4. DO YOU HAVE KIDS AND IF SO DO THEY INFLUENCE YOUR DESIGNS?
I have two super funky kids (going to be three very soon :>). Inbar, my eldest and Ulla, his young sister. They are a main influence in our designs, we run fabrics by them, prints and final design. Their opinion is always honest (and even brutal at times :>).
5. DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHILE YOU ARE DESIGNING? IF SO, WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT? DOES MUSIC INFLUENCE YOUR COLLECTIONS?
Of course! Music is a big must. We have a huge selection of music in the studio and put on what we like according to the day, hour, weather or anything else… It always feels good though, to come back to Laurie Anderson, Cat Power, Seeed, Makossa & Megablast, Iron & wine and of course The National!
6. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CAFÉ, SHOP, BOOK STORE, MUSEUM, ETC THAT YOU GAIN INSPIRATION FROM? OR LIKE TO GO TO RELAX OR PONDER?
The most inspirational places for me are the secluded nature treasures that I have. My favourite is a beach (that if you're willing to put on an effort and do some hiking) you can reach a secret bay, with white sand and blue water. I can spend the whole day there with my family, and have some unforgettable stolen moments…
7. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?
It is a long secret dream of mine to collaborate with photographer Melanie Rodriguez. I think that she an amazing "eye" and an unparalleled ability to transfer more than the image itself. To express life.
8. BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAD GIVEN YOU? WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR US?
A dear friend of mine once told me "hang on tightly and let go lightly". That is defiantly one of the best advices I received, in this world that can sometimes be chaotic, and this business that has it's challenges , it is a great thing to know when and how to hold on and important just the same when and how to let go. I would love to extend these words of wisdom to you all…
Check out Funky-legs' amazing collection here: