What do you get when you mix super cool prints with simple yet chic silhouttes? Well, Gardner and the Gang of course! Gardner and the Gang, designed by Kristin Nystrom, is the perfect combination of fun but practical clothing for the little ones. Born in Sweden, studied in Stockholm, New York, Pakistan and now living in Singapore, she has plenty to gain inspiration from.
The garments are all 100% cotton, printed with silkscreen printing.
Safe for the children with a natural look and all produced in Singapore.
The clothes are comfy, easy to wear and gives your little one a chance to easily create a cool outfit that is fashionable but most of all, cute with a hint of attitude.
I had the chance to chit chat with Kristin. Read on to find out more:
You can buy Gardner and the Gang at:
1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND? HOW DID YOU GET INTO CHILDRENSWEAR?
I am a Graphic Designer that was working on several other projects. When I had my first Daughter she inspired me into making illustrations and print them on clothes. I also felt that there was really a market for this type of clothing.
2. LIVING IN SINGAPORE, DOES THIS INFLUENCE YOUR COLLECTION?
Everyday life and people I meet inspire me into making new characters. Life in
Singapore is very inspiring since its very multicultural and I meet interesting people all the time.
3. YOU ARE VERY TALENTED, SPECIALISING IN PHOTOGRAPHY AND GRAPHIC DESIGN, DOES
THIS INFLUENCE YOUR BRAND?
Those things are probably more skills that I use when making the collection.
What influences me is more, my imagination and inspiration from everyday encounters.
4. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CAFÉ, SHOP, BOOKSTORE, ETC THAT YOU GAIN INSPIRATION FROM OR JUST GO AND PONDER OR PEOPLE WATCH?
I love taking a walk along the Singapore river in the morning. I also get very inspired by arty neighbourhoods and people watching is the best inspiration of all.
5. DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHEN YOU DESIGN? WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?
Yes I do! At the moment I love First Aid kit. And Bon Iver. I also LOVE Nina Simone.
6. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR STYLE? DOES THIS INFLUENCE YOUR COLLECTIONS?
Less is more. And yes I do look at the big fashion houses for inspiration in one way or another.
7. WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE DESIGNERS?
Love Alexander wang, Celine, Balmain and Isabel Marant. Swedish brand H&M I think is FANTASTIC! CHILDRENSWEAR DESIGNERS? I really like the Scandinavian brands such as The Brand, Schampoodle, Livly and Mini Rodini and Spanish Bobo Chooses. There are so many good ones!
8. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?
Patricia Field – She seems like such a cool and quirky lady with FAB style!!
9. WHAT’S THE BEST ADVICE ANYONE HAS GIVEN YOU? WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR US?
Believe in yourself and trust your instinct.
10. WHAT’S NEXT FOR GARNDER AND THE GANG? ANY COLLOBORATIONS IN THE WORKS OR EXCITING NEWS/PLANS?
We have lots of plans coming up. Please have a look out!
11. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
Spend the morning with my daughter Ava and my husband.We go for a walk, play in the park and have lunch together . In the afternoon we have some friends over for a barbeque and a dip in the pool.